The current Executive Board has drafted an update of the bylaws to address some outdated elements of the existing version and to add clarity to some procedures, especially concerning fund requests. A draft was brought to the October 2018 meeting, but the discussion was postponed until January to allow additional edits to be made.
A draft of the proposed bylaws is now available. Any PTO member (including any parent/guardian of a Huntington student, as well as all teachers and administrators) may submit comments on the draft bylaws at the January 10 meeting or via email prior to the meeting at email@example.com. A simple majority vote at the January 10 meeting is needed to approve the updated bylaws.
Notable proposed changes and additions to the bylaws, by section, are listed below:
Various sections throughout document
- References to website, email, and social media have been added as necessary and appropriate, most notably within the duties of the Secretary.
- Replaced “parent(s)” with “family(ies)” as appropriate.
- Section 8: specifies that each member is entitled to one vote, no absentee/proxy votes.
- Section 9: defines a quorum for votes.
- Section 1: defines the Executive Board as President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer.
- Section 3.11: Defines a term for Executive Board officers as July 1 to June 30, with no term limits.
- New article that defines how funds are held by the PTO.
- Section 2.1: Specifies that each grade level shall have a single account, unless teachers in that grade request individual classroom accounts and this request is approved by the Executive Board.
- Section 3.2: Gives the Executive Board, in cooperation with the principal, the authority to review fund requests for grade-level account funds to ensure the requests support the purpose of the organization (as defined in Article II).
- Section 4: defines intended use of PTO-held funds
- Section 5: prohibits purchase of “smart” technology
- Section 6: stipulates that durable goods purchased with PTO funds are the property of the PTO
- Section 7: states that funds above $100 (from PTO-sponsored fundraisers only) that remain in grade-level accounts at the end of the fiscal year (June 30) will be moved to the general PTO account.
- Section 9: provides that if the organization dissolves, any remaining funds will be donated to SCSD Educational Foundation.
- New article that documents the process for requesting funds (consistent with what is currently described on the fund request forms and on the PTO website).
- Section 2.1: requires that annual allocations of funds from the district be used before requesting any PTO-held funds for classroom supplies.
- New article (not included in current bylaws)